Sunday 3 August 2014

My process

This is definitely not the kind of technique I would recommend to beginners but if you are interested, here is my process when using Carré Conté.

Now that I have a bit of experience and several month of intense practice, I tend to start from one part of the body, usually the head when the model is standing up, and make my way down to the feet. This way the most important part of the drawing is usually done, before the minor ones.

Beginners should probobably not work like this and instead use the "Encajar" method which involves starting from a blocky overall shape which is gradually redefined. Check out that great Lavender Hill Studio video where the method is explained.

For that specific pose and because I am using a Carré Conté charcoal which can't really be erased, I had to start from the left just to make sure I don't smudge the drawing. I am right handed by the way.

As you will notice, I didn't finish the foot this time again. Face, feet and hands usually take an awful lot of time, probably around 10 minutes each so I tend to skip the feet when pressed by time.

I hope you will find this interesting..







No comments:

Post a Comment